Sunday, February 22, 2009

10 days without a post!

Sorry!! It's just been wacky nuts around here. In 10 days we've had me down with a violent and ferocious case of food poisoning, David was sick missing an entire week of school, Rob had a sinus cold, Amber had play performances, and last week she caught the stomach flu that was accompanied by a nice 102.3 fever. She missed 2 days of school and actually missed one of the performances! There was no way the risk could be taken to infect any other members of the cast. Amber's stand-in did a wonderful job on Thursday night but boy was she happy with Amber's return. I will post some photos later from the play. All I have to say it they were "Amazing!!!"

But I have to share a blessing and watchful protection we were given. A week ago Saturday I was up before everyone else for about an hour or so. I went to start a load of laundry and smelled something odd. It smelled like cigarettes. Upon a lengthy investigation, Rob & I discovered this:


Our lint caught on fire!!!! YIKES!!!! So we made a phone call to our appliance repair guy, Scott, from On Call Appliance. He came out first thing on Monday.

He's SO awesome!!! He's so honest and his prices are reasonable as well. He discovered that the hose from the dryer to the wall was never screwed into the back of the dryer as it should have been. And because of the lint that was left over after we clean the filter wasn't going down the hose to the outside vent. It was being sucked in to the area with the motor and pilot light. As Scott put it "The good thing about lint fires is they burn out as quickly as they start. As long as you continue to keep your lint filter cleaned." All I can say is it scared me! He recommends that once a year you take off the plate cover near your motor/pilot light and vacuum the dust out. And best of all, there was no damage to our dryer. Because you all know you just can't buy a dryer without getting the matching washer! Truly a "Tender Mercy" in my book.

6 comments:

Jeff, Traci and Kaden said...

Wow, what a scare! And I'm sorry to hear about the sicknesses in your family. No fun!

Jana said...

That is scary! It makes me wonder if I should get my dryer cleaned out!

Jess said...

Yup this just makes me even more paranoid!

Alana said...

Scary! Glad it wasn't more serious!

Tabitha Anderson said...

I'm glad you're OK.

Janice said...

"Mrs Potts" was delightful - so sorry Amber got sick! So glad no damage was done with the lint fire!