Thursday, October 30, 2008

Doesn't it Figure!

My allergy meds were running out and I needed to get them renewed. But my Dr. wanted to see me in his office since I hadn't been there in over a year. So I make my no rush appointment for 2 weeks. But low and behold, some sort of bump appears on my foot out of the middle of nowhere. I called back to see if we could up the appointment but no luck since they wanted to give me a certain amount of time with the doctor.

So this is what's I got me! An ganglion cyst! Sounds gruesome doesn't it?! Funny this picture is on the exact same foot as mine. But mine isn't nearly as big. Mine is just the size of a pea and a bit lower toward the side.
I hope mine never gets this big! I've always liked having pretty feet, except for my pinkie toe. Does it hurt? Not really, it just aches when I'm on my feet all day, after aerobics, or it gets pushed around like the doctor did to it today.

So what's the treatment you ask? Well, for me right now we will just be monitoring the growth. It's too small to be drained and surgery is the LAST option. The doctor told me what Grandma did in the "olden days". It was called "Bible Therapy". Grammy would take the heaviest book in the house, usually the family bible and whack it good, smashing the cyst. OUCH!!! No thank you! He wasn't recommending that I do that either. But for now, let's hope it will go away on it's own ~ which some do.

7 comments:

Jenn @ Cuddles and Cameras said...

YOUCH! The thought of it being whacked with a big book... Hopefully it doesn't get any bigger...unless of course you want it to be bigger so it can be drained... : )

Vashti said...

I'm glad that you were able to figure out what it is. Often with me when something is wrong and it gets bad enough that i think "i should make a dr appt", by the time the appt rolls around whatever it was has either gone or stopped!

Jeff, Traci and Kaden said...

No fun. Steph had one of those on her wrist when she was in high school and had to have it removed. I'm not sure how but I'm pretty sure it wasn't through bible therapy, although they told her that was one way to do it.

Lydia said...

My sister had one on her foot as well. I remember hearing about dropping the book on the foot. Something eventually fell (accidently) on her foot and popped it.

Jess said...

No fun. I'd rather have it whacked with a book than have surgery though. lol!

Cracker Scraps said...

I can say this now, hee hee, that's exactly what I thought it was when you talked about it on the SJ MB. It is a herniation of the bursa sac that is between two bones, in the joint. It is filled with clear gelatonous fluid and the only way to get it gone forever is to have it removed by the root! Make sure they put put you to sleep for that one! We always did at my old job.

As for a q-tip, it is a semi-disrespectful term for the snow birds that invade our home town every winter filling Wal-mart and doing "farmer chat" in the aisle. They drive like they've never been behind the wheel of a car!

Now, don't get me wrong! We should take care of and respect our elders (we'll be next) but why does the whole continent of North America have to winter in Florida? Ok, Arizona gets the west coasters. It's very anoying to me and I need to learn some patience!

Alicia said...

OK, I had one on my wrist... and we did smash it with a book! It is gone! :)